1/10/14

A KITCHEN WITH DETAILS


That is what we desire.

Oft times we just get a 'kitchen'.  
Without adequate storage.  
Without enough food prep areas.
 Without adequate lighting. 
 Without details. 
When we are able to make some upgrades,
in light of the inadequacies, the details are often the last things we pursue.


Many of you know I had water damage in my kitchen recently.
Can't say, except for the inconvenience, that I was unhappy about that.
It gives me a wonderful opportunity to make some long desired changes.
Like a kitchen that is bigger than a breadbox
and storage that works
oh, and some cosmetic changes, too... 
we all love beautiful kitchens, right?

We are in the planning stage and the permit stage right now, but I can't wait to share my very own project with you!



I'm definite about the color -
I am crazy about white kitchens.


and I want deep drawers on the bottom instead of cupboards
so much more practical and easy to use

What changes would you make to your kitchen?
My list is very long, but I'm limited in size of the room
and budget - of course - who isn't?





The details are going to be very important.



so I've been looking at a lot of beautiful kitchens for ideas
and sharing them with you...
Squarish end legs or chunky turned?
 beadboard  or panels?
granite or butcher block?


ceiling treatment?

apron sink?







okay, that was fun eye candy!
but there also has to be function...
and storage








and I'd really like it if the back splash wasn't spoiled by big ugly electrical outlets
these that are up under the cabinet are great!



So many things to think about!!!

******************************************************************
QUESTION FROM A READER:

Hi Claudine,
I came across your blog and love it! (and all of your suggestions/tips!) I bought a house last year and have been avoiding painting my kitchen cabinets because of all of the work that goes into it...but as you can see from the picture the dark wood cabinets have got to go!

I painted the kitchen walls Benjamin Moore's Cape Haterras Sand and am looking for a kitchen cabinet color. Since my floors are white, I wanted to do a pop of color, green I was thinking. But, not sure what color!? Do I stay in the same gray/green color or go with more of a light pop of green?

Thanks so much, and looking forward to hearing back from you! Erin


Hi Erin,
I love that you will be painting over that very heavy and busy wood grain.  There are times when  wood is beautiful and should be preserved, and times when it definitely needs to be covered over. Rest assured your cabinets need covering, not preserving!
A beautiful gray green I think would be perfect for your cabinets.  Make sure you use a good primer first to prepare the surface and minimize the grain.  Here's some eye candy, and some paint suggestions for you to consider.





Benjamin  Moore SILVER LAKE




Benjamin Moore FIELDSTONE
Benjamin Moore AGANTHUS GREEN
Benjamin Moore  ELEMENTAL

Martha Stewart paint   BEDFORD GRAY


Benjamin Moore CYPRESS GREEN

Benjamin Moore FIELDSTONE


Benjamin Moore GETTYSBURG GRAY

Benjamin Moore GETTYSBURG GRA

Benjamin Moore IVY LANE

Sherwin Williams OYSTER BAY
  
Glidden PISTACHIO ICE


Jeff Lewis color (Dunn Edwards/California Paints) EDAMAME

Benjamin Moore NANTUCKET GRAY










I hope this inspires you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Highly intelligent comments from amazing readers...

WHAT DID YOU MISS?

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...